Recent Water Damage Posts
Water Damage on Hardwood Floors? We Can Help!
How Water Warps Hardwood Flooring
When water floods areas with hardwood floors, the material tries to absorb the water. Unfortunately, excessive moisture forces the wood to expand, which can cause warping or cupping. Therefore, we always encourage water damage victims to extract as much water as possible while they wait for help to arrive.
Saving Water Wet Hardwood Floors
In some cases, we can save your hardwood floors. If the water is quickly extracted and there is not significant warping, then we can use a drying process specifically designed for hardwood floors. But if the flooring was exposed to moisture for a significant period and shows major signs of warping, then your hardwoods will need to be removed and replaced.
Call Professionals Before It is Too Late
While it is possible to save your water-damaged hardwood flooring, time is a critical factor. If you notice water damage in your home, call a professional cleanup and restoration company like our team here at SERVPRO of New Center / Highland Park. We offer 24/7 emergency restoration services, so if you need help, call us any time at 313-379-6768!
Roof Leak Prevention
We have all been told from time to time to “Be thankful you have a roof over your head.” When you become a homeowner, you realize how the roof plays a vital role in safeguarding your home from rain, wind, storms and extreme temperatures. Because of this, you should be paying close attention to your roof and making sure it is in great shape.
Roof leaks happen, it is just what comes with being a homeowner. They are frustrating because of the damage it can cause to your home. It is also very common for roof leaks to do unnoticed for quite some time. Unfortunately, they are noticed when there is already a significant amount of damage done to your home.
As a homeowner, you need to be alerted to avoid these situations. Follow these tips for prevention measures:
- Have regular roof inspections – Have a trained professional inspect your roof. This is essential in spotting early signs of roof damage.
- Pay attention to roof flashings – Without good, secure flashings around chimneys, vents, wall/roof junctions, skylights, water can enter a home and cause damage to your walls, ceilings, insultation and even electrical systems.
- Maintain gutters and downspouts – Gutters and downspouts that are full of leaves and debris will cause water to back up under your roof shingles causing potential leaks and water damage.
- Do not block ventilation – Proper attic ventilation will help prevent structural damage caused by moisture and increase roofing material life.
- Keep trees and bushes away – Leaves and falling limbs can cause moisture problems from algae and rot, damage to roof tiles and clogged gutters.
If your roof does happen to have leak and caused water damage to your home, do not hesitate to call us. We are water damage restoration specialists and are ready to restore your home back to pre-water damage condition. We are available 24/7 so that when a disaster strikes, we have your back.
What to Know About Blackwater
A flood can be devastating and a dangerous experience, whether it is big or small. To stay safe, it is imperative to understand the hazards of black water.
Blackwater is referred as wastewater that is contaminated with human waste and other fecal matter. Blackwater comes from flush toilets and contains human waste including:
- Fecal matter
- Used Toilet paper
Raw sewage is also considered as blackwater. Blackwater is full of dangerous bacteria and pathogens, causing serious health threats to those who encounter it. The unsanitary liquid can cause illness in both humans and pets.
It is also important to be aware of greywater after a flood. Instead of human waste, greywater includes household wastewater containing water from:
- Bathtubs and showers
- Washing machines
If you are experiencing dangerous water from flooding, it is best to limit your contact with it. Do not try to clean up the water yourself, call our SERVPRO team instead. Our team will act quickly to remove dangerous water and restore your home “Like it never even happened.”
Call us at 313-379-6768 for more information regarding flood damage and how you can be prepared.
Bathroom Water Damage?
Removing surface water can help prevent more extensive damage. However, water intrusions invade floors, ceilings, and walls to find the lowest point in your home. Standing water from an overflowing bathtub or other water incident will search for pin hole crevices and cracks in your floors and walls looking for a way to travel downward. Surfaces such as wood, drywall and carpet pull water away from plain sight and into the interiors of your home.
If a water incident occurs in your home, remove excess water with mopping or blotting, remove and prop up wet upholstery cushions for even drying and place aluminum foil or wood blocks under furniture legs. These tips may prevent further damage to your home and personal belongings.
SERVPRO of New Center /Highland Park Franchise Professionals Can Help:
- SERVPRO’s 1-4-8 Service Response Guidelines helps you regain control and peace of mind.
- Trained, uniformed Franchise Professionals arrive with clean trucks and the latest equipment to locate the source of the damage, detect moisture levels and dry all affected areas.
- Proper and immediate handling of even a small water damage may retain the resale value of your home.
- Quality service through documentation and continued communication helps ensure you are satisfied.
SERVPRO of New Center / Highland Park is available 24 hour a day, 365 days a year to help get your life back. Contact us at 313-379-6768.
We Specialize in Cleanup and Restoration!
A basement can flood at any time, although flooding most often occurs during heavy rainfall. Basements are inherently prone to flooding because they are the lowest level of a building and are normally built partly or entirely below ground level. There are a number of reasons why your basement could flood, including:
- A blocked or failed sewer lateral pipe
- Heavy rain causes surface water to pool around your home
- Storm sewer backup
- Sanitary sewer backup
- Foundation drainage failure
- Water supply-line break or hot-water tank failure
- And many more
Have Questions about Basement Flooding?
Call Today - (989) 893-8340
If flood water is not handled quickly and properly, it can jeopardize your health and safety, and cause severe damage to your home’s structure. Remember, the longer you wait, the worse the problem will get.
The bottom line: a flooded basement can jeopardize your health, safety, and your home’s integrity. It’s worth making a call to SERVPRO of Bay City and let our trained, professional crews handle the situation safely and correctly. We have earned the trust of hundreds of homeowners, business owners, and property professionals.
We are Flooded Basement Specialists:
- We are Available 24 hours/7 days per week
- We’re a Preferred Vendor to many National Insurance Companies
- We Bill The Insurance Directly – One Less Thing For You To Worry About
- Our Technicians are Highly-Trained in Water Restoration Techniques
- We use s500 IICRC Restoration Standards
- Advanced Inspection and Extraction Equipment
Basement Flooded? Call Us Today – We’re Ready To Help 586-480-2400!
Water Damage Can Leave Odors
You can’t always see water damage, but you can always smell it. Most water damage odors are hard to ignore and alert you that there is damage in your home. Odors from water damage can be noticeable immediately or can occur sometime after the water is removed. Here are some common odors:
- Muddy smell: If outdoor flooding has entered the home, you may notice an earthy smell associated with lakes.
- Sewage smell: If water damage in your home is a result of a backed-up sewer, you will immediately notice the odor of raw sewage.
- Musty odors: Musty odors occur after the fact. This is a sign that mold is growing in your home.
The sooner you notice the problem, the sooner we can help. A highly trained SERVPRO professional can access the degree of your damages.
Our Franchise Professionals will identify the source and type of water, which determines the proper course of action. Our drying equipment controls temperature and humidity, minimizing secondary damage.
To get rid of the odor in your home, our Franchise Professionals will find the source of the odor and determine the best methods to neutralize and eliminate the odor from your home.
If mold is growing in your home, our Franchise Professionals will work to control and remove mold contaminants.
Always remember to trust your nose. If it smells wrong, it probably is.
Call SERVPRO of New Center / Highland Park for more information at 313-379-6768.
Attic Water Damage? We A Here To Help!
You never really think about your attic unless you are wanting to put items in there for storage. Much like a basement, an attic is typically ignored for long periods of time. By not paying attention to your attic, damage can happen in no time.
Causes for water damage in your attic are a cracked roof, missing shingle and damage from wind/rain. During the winter, ice dams can develop on your roof, which can leak into your attic when the snow/ice melt.
Signs of a leak in your attic:
- Wet or swollen installation
How to prevent attic water damage:
- Inspect the roof
- Prevent ruptured pipes
- Control condensation
- Maintain attic appliances
If you’ve had water damage in the past, call SERVPRO® of New Center / Highland Park to dry the structure and prevent secondary water damage such as mold. We are here to help 24/7 and can fix water damage in your attic “Like it never even
We depend on our dishwashers every day. They make our lives easier by cleaning dirty dish instead of doing it by hand. Like most appliances, dishwashers require water to work and function properly. This makes it very important for dishwashers to be setup properly to avoid a disaster.
If your appliance hose cracks or loosens, it can cause hundreds of gallons of water onto your floors. If this happens, call SERVPRO of New Center/Highland Parks to extract all the water and make sure your property is dried thoroughly.
At SERVPRO of New Center/Highland Park Franchise Professionals are trained in the cleanup and care of your home following water damage. Call us at 313-379-6768, we are here to help 24/7!
We Can Treat Your Water Damage
When a home or building experiences a broken pipe, flood or other moisture problem, a professional Munger water damage company, like SERVPRO®, should be consulted for cleanup.
What SERVPRO does First
- The source of a Munger water problem is identified visually or through the use of probes and sensors.
- The Munger water damage is assessed, and recommendations are made.
- The water is then removed through pumps, and the affected area is thoroughly dried.
- When drying is complete, the company will then begin the cleaning process. This is crucial because contaminated water can make people sick. Cleaning also removes odors caused by excess moisture and mold.
- When the cleaning process is complete, all belongings can be moved back in.
- The SERVPRO® technicians will perform repair and reconstruction work including carpet installation, tile replacement, and painting.
- The company will also offer advice on future flood prevention so that the situation can be avoided in the future.
What to Do Before SERVPRO® Arrives
If there is a plumbing or flooding problem, SERVPRO® should be called right away. Severe flooding requires an immediate evacuation, but a small leak may be stopped by turning off the water or putting a bucket in place. Valuable items can be removed if they are at risk of being damaged. The electric service should be turned off at the fuse box for further safety. Everyone should stay outside until help arrives. Water Damage Preparation and Prevention Performing regular maintenance such as plumbing inspection, gutter cleaning and making sure all rooms are properly ventilated will prevent leaks, floods, and moisture problems. Insurance will help cover expenses if hiring a cleanup company becomes necessary and items need to be replaced. It will also bring peace of mind during an emergency when worries about costs can add extra stress. A flood or leak can happen suddenly, causing destruction and upset for the people involved. A professional restoration company will take care of the problem and minimize the personal distress. It is very important to have the number of SERVPRO® accessible at all times to ensure a quick response when Munger water damage strikes.
Locally Owned Company with National Resources
As a locally owned and operated business, SERVPRO® of New Center/Highland Park is strategically located to respond quickly to your water or flood damage event. When a major flooding event occurs, we can call upon our national network of 1,700 SERVPRO® Franchises and special Disaster Recovery Teams if we need additional resources or personnel.