Now that we are in winter months, you may be using your fireplace to heat up your home. Residential fire safety is crucial, especially when you have open flames within in your home. It’s important to know that any type of fireplace, whether wood-burning, gas, or electric, creates potential danger to your home and loved ones.
Fireplace Safety Tips:
- Open a window while the fire is it.
- Be sure the damper or flue is open before lighting or starting a fire, and until embers have completely stopped burning, to draw smoke out of the house.
- Check the damper by looking up into the chimney with a flashlight or mirror.
- Use smaller pieces of dry and well-aged wood for home fire safety, avoiding wet or green wood, which cause more smoke and soot buildup in the chimney.
- Have a professional check the chimney annually.
- When cleaning a fireplace, remove ashes from previous fires, keeping levels of the to 1 inch or less for less smoke
- Check for animal nests or other blockages that could prevent smoke from escaping.
- Make sure the area around the fireplace is clear of anything that is potentially flammable.
- Never leave a fire in the fireplace unattended and be sure it’s completely out before going to bed or leaving the house.
- Home fireplace safety should include keeping a fire extinguisher on hand.
Fire and smoke damage is especially destructive. In many instances, your Saginaw property will also suffer from water damage from firefighting efforts. We specialize in both fire and water damage restoration; it’s the cornerstone of our business. SERVPRO of New Center / Highland Park has specialized equipment, specific training, and certifications that allow us to restore your home to pre-fire condition "Like it never even happened."